7.22.2008

A vision for my children






Amabile captured the following wise words in her book, Growing Up Creative: Nurturing a Lifetime of Creativity.

The main vision I have for my children is for them to be happy. That's my goal. If they can be happy with themselves, I've achieved a whole lot... Jason was always wonderful. The vision I have for him is that he can do anything he wants. And I've told him he can do anything he wants. He has showed me a lot of
what he can be. All of the kids have. I see each one's one strengths and weaknesses, and I go with those. The vision didn't start with me; they showed me.

Play with your kids; especially, quit instructing them. Just go with them. Let them tell you what things are about instead of you always telling them, because they see things in a totally different, sometimes bizarre, sometimes wonderful way. (Amabile, 2007, p.102-103)


Amabile, T. M. (2007). Growing up creativity: Nurturing a lifetime of creativity (5th ed.). Hadley, MA: The Creative Education Foundation.

1 comment:

Carol said...

Lend me the book!!! :)

Someone once told me that being happy is "shallow"...it's more important to be joyful. That was food for thought for me for quite some time...

Gd to have your back soon! We shd do lunch when u get back. Hv been trying to set up lunch with Dee since I joined EPD last week but hv not been able to find a time. Maybe next week when u r back?